Many people want to have thick, lustrous, and healthy hair and will go to great lengths to achieve it. They are using hair masks, serums, and vitamin supplements to make that happen, and while all of these are good, one thing that is the most beneficial for the hair is an excellent oil massage.
Alopecia areata is a form of autoimmune hair loss (4) where your hair falls out in round or oval-shaped bald patches. (5) This can be due to genetics, hormones, or inflammation in the hair follicle. (5)
Read on to know more about bhringraj oil, hair balding, and hair regrowth.
Does Bhringraj Really Cure Baldness: Scientific Evidence
In ancient Ayurveda, herbal oils such as bhringraj oil were described to be highly beneficial for good hair, getting rid of bald patches, (1)(2) and promoting a good night’s sleep. Bhringraj hails from the sunflower family, and the famous Bhringraj oil is prepared from its leaves.
One study revealed that bhringraj oil assists the existing follicles to grow hair at a faster speed. (6)
A 2021 study conducted on mice also showed that bhringraj promotes hair growth (7) and may speed up the growth process. Several studies also show that regularly applying bhringraj oil to the scalp may slow down male-pattern baldness. (3)(6)(7)
Unfortunately, there is no way to avoid going bald completely, since genetics is a common cause of male-pattern baldness and age-related hair loss.
Once a follicle is dead, disappears, is scarred, or hasn’t generated new hair in years, then there is no likelihood of new hair growing out from it again, according to experts. However, if the follicle is still intact, then there is a possibility for hair regrowth.
How to Use Bhringraj to Treat Hair Baldness
Here’s how you can use bhringraj to manage hair baldness and hair fall.
1. Hair mask with bhringraj powder
- In a bowl, mix 1 teaspoon of bhringraj powder and 2 tablespoons of Little Extra Coco Onion Oil, and massage the mixture on the scalp.
- Leave it on for 1 hour, and then wash it off with Little Extra Coco Onion Natural Shampoo.
- Repeat this twice a week to get the desired results.
2. Bhringraj leaves paste
- Take a few fresh bhringraj leaves and make a paste out of them.
- Take 1 teaspoon of this paste and apply it to your scalp.
- Allow it to remain on your head for 3–4 hours, and then rinse it off with water.
- Shampoo and condition your hair with natural products from Little Extra.
- Repeat the process two times a week to manage baldness.
3. Bhringraj oil massage
- Take a handful of freshly chopped bhringraj leaves in a bowl. You can also use bhringraj powder instead of leaves to prepare this oil at home.
- Add 1 cup of coconut oil to it.
- Heat the mixture for 3–4 minutes and let it cool.
- Massage the oil on your scalp in circular motions for 10 minutes, concentrating on the bald patches.
- Leave it on for 4–5 hours.
- Wash it off with Little Extra Coco Onion Hair Shampoo and use a conditioner.
- Oil your head twice a week to see results.
Benefits of Bhringraj on Hair
Bhringraj can do wonders for your hair in many ways.
1. Promotes hair growth
A 2021 study done on mice showed that bhringraj encourages hair growth. (7)
Genetics is one of the reasons behind male-pattern baldness and age-related hair loss. But applying bhringraj in the early stages of alopecia can be one of the ways to prevent balding and boost hair growth.
2. Helps in hair regrowth
Applying bhringraj oil to the scalp can promote hair regrowth, according to scientific studies. Bhringraj oil inhibits TGF-β1 expression, which stimulates the hair follicles to grow healthy hair.
3. Reduces hair fall
A 2017 study showed that bhringraj is a remedy for hair loss and maintains the strength and health of the hair while boosting hair growth.
Bhringraj strengthens the hair follicles and slows down conditions such as male-pattern baldness while making the tresses glossy and lustrous. It helps in the regrowth of hair that is lost and speeds the growth of existing follicles. (6)
Add a few drops of bhringraj oil to your shampoo and wash your hair with it to moisturize the scalp and prevent dryness and dandruff.
4. Treats alopecia
Although more evidence is needed to confirm it as a cure for hair balding, one scientific study conducted on mice has demonstrated that bhringraj oil can promote hair growth. (7)
5. May prevent hair greying
Who Should Not Use Bhringraj Oil on Hair?
Bhringraj oil helps prevent hair fall and promotes hair regrowth, but if you get redness or breakouts after using it on your head, discontinue its use.
Side Effects of Using Bhringraj Oil on Hair
Some side effects of using bhringraj oil can be throat irritation, sneezing, headache, nasal irritation, and a burning sensation.
Please do not leave the oil overnight on the scalp, as it can lead to a cold and cough.
General Queries Related to Bhringraj for Hair Care
Can you leave bhringraj oil on your head overnight?
Leaving bhringraj oil on your head overnight may lead to a cold and cough. You can leave it on your head for 4–5 hours instead.
How long does it take to regrow my hair when using bhringraj oil?
You will need to use bhringraj oil for at least 3–4 months continuously to get good results. (1)
How long does it take to my grow hair when consuming bhringraj powder daily?
You can mix ½ teaspoon of bhringraj powder in 2 tablespoons of water and consume it after having your food twice a day. This has to be done for at least 2–3 months to gain good hair growth. The dose for bhringraj juice is 3–6 ml, and for powder, it is 3–5 g.
Bhringraj is called the “king of oils” because it’s a versatile oil, offers many benefits, and has been used since ancient times to treat and prevent scalp baldness.
Massaging this oil on the scalp for 10 minutes helps to increase blood circulation in the scalp and hair follicles. When blood circulation in the scalp is improved, more nutrients can reach the hair roots, thereby encouraging hair growth.
- (PDF) the wonder of herbs to treat-alopecia – researchgate. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.researchgate.net/publication/308780570/.
- (PDF) Eclipta Alba (L.): An overview – researchgate.net. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/304172770/.
- Yadav NK, Arya RK, Dev K, et al. Alcoholic extract of eclipta alba shows in vitro antioxidant and anticancer activity without exhibiting toxicological effects. Oxidative medicine and cellular longevity. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5307245/. Published 2017.
- Hair loss types: Alopecia areata overview. American Academy of Dermatology. https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/hair-loss/types/alopecia.
- R; CWS. Male androgenetic alopecia. National Center for Biotechnology Information. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK278957/.
- HIND AGRICULTURAL RESEARCH AND TRAINING INSTITUTE. Health benefits of Eclipta alba. http://researchjournal.co.in/ONLINE/RKE/RKE%2012(1)/12_39-40.pdf.
- Datta K; Singh AT; Mukherjee A; Bhat B; Ramesh B; Burman AC; Eclipta alba extract with potential for hair growth promoting activity. Journal of ethnopharmacology. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19481595/.
- A review on traditional uses, phytochemistry, and pharmacological … https://www.researchgate.net/publication/344721141/.
- Jahan R, Al-Nahain A, Majumder S, Rahmatullah M. Ethnopharmacological significance of Eclipta Alba (L.) hassk. (Asteraceae). International scholarly research notices. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4897414/. Published October 29, 2014.