Unruly and frizzy hair is the result of a bad hair care routine.
It occurs when the hair’s natural moisture declines due to the application of chemical products, pollution, use of hair styling products, (1) frequently brushing the hair, (2) improper grooming practices, scalp disorders, and weather changes, (3) among many others.
Unruly and frizzy is common among women with curly hair. Research on the effect of changes in humidity and temperature on curly, coily, and straight hair showed that these hair types are more prone to frizziness because of tactile friction (friction due to sensation of touch). (4)
The scalp contains sebaceous glands that moisten the hair and make it look shiny and soft. But the chemicals inside the hair care products disturb the delicate balance of lipids and proteins and make the hair frizzy and untamed. (5)
The good news is there are many things you can do at home to manage dull and frizzy hair.
How to Tame Frizzy Hair
Here are some excellent home remedies to tackle frizzy hair.
1. Banana and coconut oil mask
Banana nourishes your hair and gives it a shiny, glamorous look. They contain nutrients including magnesium, potassium, protein, and vitamins. (6) Applying banana to your hair will keep it moisturized and dandruff-free. (7)
People have used coconut oil to get long and strong hair for ages, and scientific research has also proven it protects hair from damage. Massaging your hair and scalp with coconut oil effectively reduces hair loss and promotes hair growth.
Humidity strips away the moisture from the hair, but using coconut oil on the scalp and hair helps to restore and retain moisture. It also safeguards your hair from the damage caused by hygral fatigue. (8)
How to use:
- Peel a banana and mash it until it turns soft.
- Mix the banana in coconut oil.
- Apply the mixture to your hair and scalp.
- Put on a shower cap or wrap your hair in a plastic bag. Leave it on for an hour.
- Rinse your hair.
- Use shampoo and a hair conditioner to wash your hair.
2. Rice water hair mask
Rice water has been widely used in China and Japan to achieve soft and manageable hair. Rice water protects your hair against damage from pollution, hot tools, chemicals in hair care products, etc.
Boiled rice paste can also be used; it is rich in amino acids, strengthening your hair strands and encouraging hair growth.
How to use:
Method 1: Rice water
- Wash your hair thoroughly using a mild shampoo.
- Apply rice water to your hair and scalp and massage them.
- After 15 minutes, rinse your hair with plain water.
Method 2: Boiled rice paste
- Apply boiled rice paste to your hair along with olive oil.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes, and then rinse it off with water.
3. Hibiscus mask
Hibiscus traps the moisture in your hair shaft and increases the elasticity of your hair strands. Its mucilage fiber is essential as it helps prevent hair fall and breakage, and it conditions the hair to make it soft and manageable.
Making hibiscus a part of your hair care regimen can result in shiny and frizz-free hair. (9)
How to use:
- Blend hibiscus petals and leaves to make a smooth paste.
- Add almond oil and mix them well.
- Apply the mixture to your scalp from the hair shaft to its tip.
- Keep the mask on for at least 45 minutes.
- Rinse your hair with water and herbal shampoo.
It’s recommended to do this remedy before washing your hair. This simple technique will add bounce to your dull and damaged hair.
4. Hair oils
Several hair oils have the ability to control untamed hair and bring it back to its original appearance.
Olive oil helps make the hair more manageable and aids in hair growth. It is rich in antioxidants including flavonoids, lignans, and secoiridoids.
Olive oil’s emollient properties enable it to seal the cuticle and trap moisture inside. It is not heavy on your hair and does not clog your pores. It is an excellent choice for women suffering from dry hair with split ends.
Fenugreek oil contains lecithin, a natural emollient that strengthens and moisturizes the hair and encourages the regrowth of hair.
Almond oil is a popular oil that helps increase the hair’s elasticity by filling the gap between cuticle cells. It does not play a role in protein loss since it cannot penetrate the hair shaft and hence makes the hair moisturized and glossy. (10)
How to use:
- Take 3–4 drops of almond oil, combine it with ½ cup of olive oil, and pour some drops of fenugreek oil. Blend them well.
- Apply this oil blend to your scalp and hair, and massage for 10 minutes.
- Let it rest on your hair for 30–40 minutes.
- Wash your hair with a natural shampoo and conditioner.
- Repeat these steps twice weekly to get soft and frizz-free hair.
What Are the Causes of Frizzy Hair?
Frizziness can be due to the following:
- Shampoos cleanse the scalp and hair well, but they also act on the hair shaft. Use a shampoo full of the goodness of natural ingredients such as coconut oil, onion juice, and curry leaves and devoid of harsh unwanted chemicals such as parabens and sulfates, which are harsh on the hair and cause frizz.
- Friction leads to hair frizz, which can be reduced by using hair care products that contain the right combination of ingredients.
- The scalp pH is 5.5, and the hair shaft pH is 3.67. Using alkaline hair care products may increase the negative electric charge of the hair strands, causing friction between them. (11)
- Applying leave-on hair products and letting them stay on the hair for long periods can also cause dull hair.
- Hair rebonding and straightening can cause hair frizziness in many people.
- Exposure to UV rays (12) and some nutritional imbalances (13) can also lead to hair frizziness.
General Queries Related to Frizzy Hair
Is avocado paste good for the hair?
Avocado oil is a fatty oil rich in nutrients that nourish the hair strands, promote hair growth, and add shine to the hair. (14)
Does the scalp condition affect the texture of hair?
Yes. If you have a dry and flaky scalp, you need to oil it one hour before washing it with shampoo and conditioner. You can use coconut oil, olive oil, bhringraj oil, avocado oil, etc., to massage the hair and scalp well.
If you have an oily scalp, apply hair oil only to the strands and ends and avoid the roots of the hair before shampooing and conditioning.
How do you reduce hair friction?
Reduce hair friction by not rubbing the hair aggressively against a towel or by swapping it with a silk/satin pillowcase.
Your hair is the crown that you carry daily on your head. If your hair is dull and frizzy, take care of it with regular oiling, masking, and conditioning to make it healthy and shiny. (1)
You can try the above-mentioned home remedies to achieve the hair of your dreams and enhance your look.
- Review on hair problem and its solution – researchgate.net. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/342174156/.
- (PDF) prospect of herbs as hair growth potential – researchgate. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/312167161/.
- JJ; M. [frizzy hair pathology]. Medecine tropicale: revue du Corps de sante colonial. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22235613/.
- Skedung L; Collier ES; Harris KL; Rutland MW; Applebaum M; Greaves AJ; Luengo GS; A curly Q: Is Frizz a matter of friction? Perception. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34152243/.
- Picardo M, Ottaviani M, Camera E, Mastrofrancesco A. Sebaceous gland lipids. Dermato-endocrinology. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2835893/. Published March 2009.
- Bananas. The Nutrition Source. https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/food-features/bananas/. Published July 6, 2021.
- (PDF) traditional and medicinal uses of banana – researchgate. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/285484754/.
- (PDF) medicinal benefit of coconut oil – researchgate. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/268805677/.
- © 2021 JETIR June 2021, volume 8, issue 6 use of Rice water (Oryza … https://www.jetir.org/papers/JETIR2106426.pdf.
- Mysore V, Arghya A. Hair oils: Indigenous knowledge revisited. International journal of trichology. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9231528/. Published 2022.
- Gavazzoni Dias MFR, de Almeida AM, Cecato PMR, Adriano AR, Pichler J. The shampoo ph can affect the hair: Myth or reality? International journal of trichology. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4158629/. Published July 2014.
- Gavazzoni Dias MFR. Hair cosmetics: An overview. International journal of trichology. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4387693/. Published 2015.
- Guo EL, Katta R. Diet and hair loss: Effects of nutrient deficiency and supplement use. Dermatology practical & conceptual. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5315033/. Published January 31, 2017.
- Zaid AN, Jaradat NA, Eid AM, Al Zabadi H, Alkaiyat A, Darwish SA. Ethnopharmacological survey of home remedies used for treatment of hair and scalp and their methods of preparation in the West Bank-Palestine. BMC complementary and alternative medicine. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5499037/. Published July 5, 2017.