Coconut and almond oil are great ingredients to use for a clean scalp and healthy mane.
How to Use Coconut Oil and Almond Oil Together for Hair
Coconut oil is rich in lauric acid, which can deeply penetrate the hair shaft, nourishing the hair with vitamins, minerals, and fatty acids. (3)
Here are some ways you can use coconut oil and almond oil together for your hair:
1. For damaged hair – coconut oil + almond oil
- Add 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and 1 tablespoon of almond oil to a bowl and mix them well.
- Massage this mixture well into dry or damp hair in circular motions for around 10 minutes.
- Let it remain for a few hours or overnight for deep hydration.
- Rinse it off with water.
- Wash your hair well with a good-quality shampoo and conditioner.
2. For dull hair – coconut oil + almond oil + apple cider vinegar
Combining the benefits of coconut oil and almond oil with apple cider vinegar will ensure that your hair is well moisturized and your scalp is deep cleansed and dandruff-free.
Apple cider vinegar is a natural antifungal agent that can stop the growth of the dandruff-causing fungus, Malassezia, according to a 2018 study. (5)
- Combine 2 tablespoons of coconut oil with 1 tablespoon of almond oil in a bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and mix them well.
- Apply the mask evenly to dry or damp hair from roots to tips.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes.
- Rinse it off with water.
- Wash your hair with a good-quality shampoo and conditioner.
- Repeat this process twice weekly to restore moisture and sheen to dull hair.
3. For hair fall – almond oil + fenugreek seed powder + curry leaves powder + banana
Almond oil is rich in fatty acids that transform your hair and stop hair fall. (6) Fenugreek seeds (7) and curry leaves (8) are also powerful ingredients and known to tackle hair fall and cleanse the scalp.
Banana hydrates the hair and scalp and also helps in hair growth. A 2011 lab study concluded that an unripe banana when applied to mice could induce hair growth. (9)
- Combine 1 teaspoon of fenugreek powder (methi), 1 teaspoon of curry leaves powder, and 1 mashed banana in a bowl.
- To this mixture, add 2 tablespoons of almond oil, and mix them well.
- Apply this mixture to dry or damp hair and scalp and massage it well for 10 minutes.
- Rinse it off.
- Wash your hair with a good-quality shampoo and conditioner.
Benefits of Using Coconut Oil and Almond Oil for Hair
Almond oil and coconut oil treatments can do wonders for your hair. Here are some of their benefits:
1. Moisturizes hair
Pure coconut oil penetrates deeply into your scalp, which is why it is a superior moisturizer to mineral oil. It contains a lot of fatty acids including lauric acid, which penetrates the hair shaft and nourishes the hair and scalp deeply. (1)
2. Fights hair loss
If your hair strands are falling all over the place, start applying coconut oil to your scalp and hair as it helps control hair loss and penetrates deep into the scalp.
Compared to mineral oil and sunflower oil, coconut oil is the only oil that lowers protein loss from the hair strands. It has an affinity for hair proteins, and when massaged onto the hair, it nourishes the hair well. (11)
Almond oil helps reactivate dormant hair follicles as it is a good source of biotin, which is essential for hair growth. It prevents hair from falling as it heals and nourishes the scalp. (12) Biotin is also vital for the improvement of the skin and hair. (13)
3. Stimulates hair growth
Coconut oil is blessed with moisturizing properties for the skin and helps the hair grow healthy, thick, and long.
It is rich in vitamins and fatty acids, which moisturize the scalp, penetrate the hair cuticle, and remove sebum buildup from the hair follicles, which all contribute to excellent hair growth. (1)
Use it in a hair mask twice weekly to achieve long and healthy locks.
When almond oil is applied to the scalp, it reactivates dormant hair follicles, leading to hair growth. It contains vitamin B7, or biotin, which helps in the thickening and growth of hair.
Almond oil is also rich in fatty acids, which moisturize the scalp and hair well so that it looks sleek and grows well. (6)
4. Eliminates dry scalp
Coconut oil is good for your scalp and hair as it moisturizes it well and is easily absorbed by the skin. It works better than other oils on dry hair and scalp and can be used as a preshampoo treatment.
It has antimicrobial properties that fight against scalp disorders such as dandruff and flaking. (14)
Almond oil is excellent for a dry, flaky scalp as it has properties that fight against scalp disorders such as seborrheic dermatitis, and dandruff. This oil is also abundant in nutrients including omega fatty acids, vitamin E, squalene, polyphenols, vitamins, and minerals and offers several benefits for your hair and scalp. (15)
5. Slows the aging process of hair
Applying coconut oil to the scalp and hair can prevent premature hair graying and skin dryness.
Exposure to the harmful UV rays and pollution is one of the main causes of skin and hair aging, and using coconut oil can help thicken the skin’s epidermis and increase the collagen density of the skin to protect it from aging. (16)
Your skin goes through environmentally influenced aging that causes dryness, roughness, and impairment of the skin barrier due to the oxidative stress. Almond oil has emollient and sclerosant properties, and its topical application to the skin helps prevent structural damage from the UV rays. (15)
General Queries Related to Coconut Oil and Almond Oil for Hair
Are there any side effects to using almond oil on hair?
Using almond oil on your hair does not come with any side effects. Sweet almond oil is a great ingredient to use on your scalp and hair for nourishment.
Which is better for the hair, almond oil or coconut oil?
It depends. If you have thick, dry, or curly hair, then coconut oil works best for you, but you can use almond oil for all hair types.
Can I use coconut oil on my hair every day?
You can use coconut oil daily on your hair because it helps reduce protein loss in all hair types. It is rich in lauric acid and penetrates the hair shaft better than other oils.
Using coconut oil and almond oil on your hair can lead to increased hair growth and strength. They both have a lot of active nutrients that make the hair soft and strong.
You can give the above-mentioned hair masks with coconut oil and almond oil a try in your endeavor to get the best results for your hair.
- Saxena R, Mittal P, Clavaud C, et al. Longitudinal Study of the scalp microbiome suggests coconut oil to enrich healthy scalp commensals. Scientific reports. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8012655/. Published March 31, 2021.
- Goyal A, Sharma A, Kaur J, et al. Bioactive-based cosmeceuticals: An update on emerging trends. Molecules (Basel, Switzerland). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8837976/. Published January 27, 2022.
- Boateng L, Ansong R, Owusu WB, Steiner-Asiedu M. Coconut oil and palm oil’s role in nutrition, Health and National Development: A Review. Ghana medical journal. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5044790/. Published September 2016.
- Özcan MM, Matthäus B, Aljuhaimi F, et al. Effect of almond genotypes on fatty acid composition, tocopherols and mineral contents and bioactive properties of sweet almond (prunus amygdalus batsch spp.. dulce) kernel and oils. Journal of food science and technology. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7520497/. Published November 2020.
- Yagnik D, Serafin V, J Shah A. Antimicrobial activity of apple cider vinegar against escherichia coli, Staphylococcus aureus and candida albicans; downregulating cytokine and microbial protein expression. Scientific reports. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5788933/. Published January 29, 2018.
- Z; A. The uses and properties of Almond Oil. Complementary therapies in clinical practice. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20129403/.
- Ahmad A, Alghamdi SS, Mahmood K, Afzal M. Fenugreek a multipurpose crop: Potentialities and improvements. Saudi journal of biological sciences. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4894452/. Published March 2016.
- Balakrishnan R, Vijayraja D, Jo S-H, Ganesan P, Su-Kim I, Choi D-K. Medicinal profile, phytochemistry, and pharmacological activities of Murraya koenigii and its primary bioactive compounds. Antioxidants (Basel, Switzerland). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7070712/. Published January 24, 2020.
- (PDF) evaluation of hair growth promoting activity of … – researchgate. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/272895983/.
- Melhaoui R, Kodad S, Houmy N, et al. Characterization of sweet almond oil content of four European cultivars (ferragnes, ferraduel, fournat, and marcona) recently introduced in Morocco. Scientifica. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8421184/. Published August 30, 2021.
- Dias MFRG, Loures AF, Ekelem C. Hair cosmetics for the hair loss patient. Indian journal of plastic surgery : official publication of the Association of Plastic Surgeons of India. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8719955/. Published December 27, 2021.
- Biotin supplementation for hair and nail health: Does it pass the test? https://www.aad.org/dw/dw-insights-and-inquiries/archive/2021/biotin-supplementation-hair-nails.
- Biotin – StatPearls – NCBI Bookshelf. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK554493/.
- RB; RASM. Effect of mineral oil, sunflower oil, and coconut oil on prevention of hair damage. Journal of cosmetic science. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12715094/.
- Lin T-K, Zhong L, Santiago JL. Anti-inflammatory and skin barrier repair effects of topical application of some plant oils. International journal of molecular sciences. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5796020/. Published December 27, 2017.
- Pham TL-B, Thi TT, Nguyen HT-T, Lao TD, Binh NT, Nguyen QD. Anti-aging effects of a serum based on coconut oil combined with deer antler stem cell extract on a mouse model of Skin aging. Cells. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8870445/. Published February 9, 2022.