Fenugreek seeds, or methi, are a common kitchen ingredient that both Chinese and Ayurvedic medicinal systems have used for ages. It is found in seed or powder form and is used to treat various ailments through alternative medicine.
Onion juice is highly beneficial in promoting hair growth and reducing hair fall. The sulfur in onion juice helps to reduce hair breakage and strengthen hair follicles.
Why Fenugreek and Onion Juice?
Fenugreek and onion juice can be used together with coconut oil or olive oil as a base or with other beneficial ingredients such as essential oils for maximum benefit.
Fenugreek is a rich source of fiber, oleic acid, linolenic acid, linoleic acid, phospholipids, glycolipids, nicotinic acid, niacin, and choline. (1) It is also rich in vitamins A, B1, B2, and C, which are essential for hair growth. (2)
Fenugreek is known to influence the anagen-to-catagen and catagen-to-telogen stages of the hair cycle, which helps in the growth of hair and reduction of hair breakage and hair fall. (2)
The diosgenin in fenugreek seeds has anti-inflammatory functions, including reducing several inflammatory mediators such as nitric oxidase, IL-1, and IL-6. (3)
Onion juice is widely used as a hair treatment to reduce hair problems and maintain healthy hair.
You can prevent hair loss and other hair problems by regularly applying onion juice to your hair and scalp. It will result in increased hair volume and healthy hair.
Onions contain several beneficial components that are exceptionally good for your hair, such as sulfur, quercetin, folic acids, and biotin.
Quercetin gives onions their anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. This beneficial compound helps fight free radicals, air pollutants, and toxins that cause damage to the hair cells and cause hair loss.
The sulfur in onions aids in the regeneration of hair follicles and promotion of hair growth. It also helps stop hair thinning and breakage. (4)
Benefits of Using Fenugreek and Onion Juice Together
The advantages of using a fenugreek-onion juice remedy for the hair include the following:
1. Reduces hair fall
Fenugreek contains essential nutrients, including vitamin C, iron, and other protein-rich compounds, that help to fight against hair fall and dandruff and provide life to your tresses.
As onions are a rich source of proteins and sulfur, combining them with fenugreek stimulates the hair follicles, which in turn produce healthy hair with less hair fall.
2. Fights dandruff
If you are suffering from an itchy and scaly scalp, applying fenugreek powder alone or with onion juice to your scalp can help reduce the problem.
Fenugreek powder and onion juice both help remove dandruff-causing fungus and relieve itching, redness, scaly scalp, and flaking. (5)
3. Prevents premature hair graying
One major issue among millennials today is premature graying of hair, which can be an unpleasant experience for many. Using chemical-laden hair dyes or hair colors at a young age can further damage the scalp and hair.
Using fenugreek powder and onion juice can help reverse graying of hair, get rid of split ends, and rehydrate dry hair.
Different Ways to Use Fenugreek and Onion Juice Together for Healthy Hair
Using fenugreek and onion together is highly beneficial for your hair as it is effective against hair loss, damaged hair follicles, and dandruff.
a. Fenugreek seeds and onion juice mask for dandruff
- Soak 3 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds in water overnight, and blend them to a paste the next morning.
- Add 2 tablespoons of fresh onion juice to it and mix them well.
- Apply the mixture to your scalp and leave it on for 25–30 minutes.
- Rinse the mask off with lukewarm water.
b. Fenugreek, onion juice, and olive oil mask for dandruff and other scalp infections
- Combine 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds, 2 tablespoons of onion juice, and 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Apply the mixture to your scalp, and massage it in circular motions.
- Leave it on the scalp for 40 minutes.
- Rinse it off with gentle shampoo and conditioner.
c. Fenugreek, patchouli essential oil, and yogurt mask
- Soak fenugreek seeds in water and leave them overnight.
- Strain and blend them with 2 tablespoons of yogurt the morning after.
- Add 3 drops of patchouli essential oil to the mixture and mix well.
- Apply the mixture to your hair.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes and rinse it off with shampoo.
d. Fenugreek and onion juice mask
- Grind 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds into powder.
- Add 2 tablespoons of onion juice to the powder to make a paste.
- Apply the paste to your hair and scalp.
- Wash it off with gentle shampoo and conditioner after 20 minutes.
e. Fenugreek, onion juice, and coconut milk mask
Coconut milk is a rich moisturizer that helps eliminate dry and frizzy hair.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of fenugreek powder, 2 tablespoons of onion juice, and 1 tablespoon of coconut milk to form a paste.
- Apply it to your scalp and hair and leave it on for 30 minutes.
- Wash it off with gentle shampoo and conditioner.
General Queries Related to Fenugreek and Onion for Hair Care
Will applying onion juice and fenugreek mask on my scalp for a longer time affect my hair color?
Absolutely no. However, it is advisable to have the mask on the hair for a few minutes to one hour only to avoid the smell of the onion juice, which is difficult to remove from the hair.
Will a fenugreek and onion juice mask reduce split ends?
With the numerous vitamins and proteins in these two products, you can significantly improve your hair split ends as you treat the roots and shafts of your hair.
Fenugreek and onion juice hair masks are highly beneficial for the hair. Make these hair masks part of your hair care routine to achieve a healthy scalp and hair.
- Nagulapalli Venkata KC; Swaroop A; Bagchi D; Bishayee A; A small plant with big benefits: Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-Graecum Linn.) for disease prevention and health promotion. Molecular nutrition & food research. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28266134/.
- (PDF) fenugreek+micronutrients: Efficacy of a food … – researchgate. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/251923543/.
- Umar S, Carter MJ. A multimodal hair-loss treatment strategy using a new topical phytoactive formulation: A report of five cases. Case reports in dermatological medicine. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7878086/. Published February 4, 2021.
- Hosking A-M, Juhasz M, Atanaskova Mesinkovska N. Complementary and alternative treatments for alopecia: A comprehensive review. Skin appendage disorders. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6388561/. Published February 2019.
- Zaid AN, Jaradat NA, Eid AM, Al Zabadi H, Alkaiyat A, Darwish SA. Ethnopharmacological survey of home remedies used for treatment of hair and scalp and their methods of preparation in the West Bank-Palestine. BMC complementary and alternative medicine. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5499037/. Published July 5, 2017.