Good hair always adds confidence to a person and makes them look more appealing and presentable. Though hair quality is a gift from God to you, you can still perform a few easy tricks to improve the quality of your precious hair.
Onion juice and coconut oil are two essential ingredients that help bring magical improvement to hair quality. The Internet is also full of research studies that confirm the long-term benefits of using onion juice on the hair.
This article will discuss the benefits of both onion juice and coconut oil and their uses for hair growth.
Will Coconut Oil and Onion Juice Improve Hair Health?
Coconut oil and onion juice are a great combination as both have antibacterial and antifungal properties.
Moreover, onion juice is rich in sulfur, which is known to aid in hair growth, whereas coconut oil can penetrate the scalp well and has been used since time immemorial by women to nourish and hydrate their hair. (1)
How to Use Coconut Oil and Onion Juice Together for Hair Growth
To get the best out of these two fantastic hair ingredients, you can make a mix of both onion juice and coconut oil.
- Mix 2 tbsp of onion juice with 2 tbsp of coconut oil.
- Add a few drops of essential oils such as peppermint oil, tea tree oil, or lavender oil.
- Take a few drops of this oil mixture, and massage them to your scalp and hair using your fingertips. Leave it on for 30 minutes.
- Wash your hair with a good shampoo and conditioner.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of onion juice and 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in a pan and mix them well.
- Turn the flame off and let it cool down to room temperature.
- Strain the mixture and store it in an airtight container for up to 3–4 months.
- Apply the oil to your scalp and hair.
- Wash it off after 30–45 minutes or leave it on overnight.
Onion Juice for Hair Growth
Onion juice is considered one of the most effective solutions for speedy hair growth because it contains a lot of sulfur, which helps in regenerating the hair follicles. (2)
Human hair is also made of a sulfur-rich protein called keratin. After applying onion juice to your hair, the sulfur level in the hair rises and so does the keratin level.
Eating onions also fulfills your dietary requirements for sulfur. (3)
The antioxidants in onions fight the free radicals present in the hair for faster hair recovery. Being antimicrobial and antifungal, onion fights scalp infections and dandruff. Moreover, onion juice augments blood circulation in the scalp, which in turn contributes to improved hair growth. Thus, onion stimulates the scalp, nourishes the hair follicles, and facilitates hair regrowth. (4)
A study was conducted among two groups to find out the effectiveness of onion juice for patchy alopecia areata. One group tried onion juice on their scalps twice a day for 2 months, and the other group applied only tap water. At 8 weeks, hair growth was observed in 87% of the participants, whereas only 13% of the participants who used tap water showed hair growth. These findings reveal that onion juice is effective in treating alopecia areata. (5)
How to Extract Onion Juice?
Onion juice can be easily prepared at home by following these steps:
- Wash and pat dry 6–7 medium-sized onions.
- Blend them to extract onion paste.
- Pass the onion paste through a sieve to extract the onion juice.
- Store the onion juice in an airtight container for future use.
How to Apply Onion Juice to the Hair?
You can take the onion juice and apply it directly to the scalp using your fingers or a hair spray.
How to Make Onion Hair Oil at Home?
Make onion hair oil at home using this process:
- Dice 8–10 onions, blend them, and extract the juice.
- Make an onion paste using one onion.
- Heat 1 liter of coconut oil in a vessel.
- To the oil, add the extracted onion juice and paste and stir them up.
- Turn the heat to medium.
- Once the first boil is done, keep it on low flame, stirring continuously for 5–10 minutes.
- Turn off the flame, and let the oil mixture in the vessel cool down.
- Strain the onion oil and store it in a dry container for future use.
If you cannot prepare onion hair oil at home, you can purchase many good brands of coconut oil with onion hair oil as well as shampoos and conditioners containing onion juice/oil.
How to Apply Onion Oil?
- Pour a few drops of onion oil into your palm, and apply them to your scalp and hair thoroughly.
- Rub the oil to your scalp in circular motions for at least 10–15 minutes. Apply more pressure to the bald spots.
- Leave it on for an hour on your scalp before you wash it off with a gentle shampoo.
- Follow the same method twice a week to achieve good hair growth.
Things to Consider When Using Onion Juice for Hair Growth
When applying onion juice on hair for hair growth, here are a few things you should keep in mind:
- When using onion juice on the scalp for the first time, observe the area of application for any side effects within the first 30–40 minutes. If you experience any side effects, discontinue using it.
- Do not use onion juice if you have a scalp disorder such as eczema, psoriasis, and scalp acne.
- Practice patience, as it may take 2 months to notice hair regrowth.
Benefits of Coconut Oil for Hair Growth
Coconut oil is extracted from the kernel of matured coconuts. It is entirely chemical-free and offers numerous benefits.
Coconut oil is the best option for you if you have itchy, dry scalp or frizzy hair.
Coconut oil is not only good for hair but it is also great for the skin. It is best known for its moisturizing and antiaging effects on the skin and scalp. (6)
1. Antimicrobial properties
Due to the antimicrobial properties of pure coconut oil, it kills harmful microorganisms on the scalp and is used for treating scalp diseases such as dandruff.
When coconut oil is used on the scalp, it helps in creating a barrier that blocks bacteria, fungi, and irritants from causing further damage. (7)
2. Moisturizing properties
Coconut has nourishing properties, making it one of the best moisturizers. It adds extra shine to the hair and makes it easily manageable by acting as a lubricating agent.
Because of its unique lipid structure, coconut is better able to penetrate the hair in comparison with other oils. It also helps reduce protein loss. (8)
3. Anti-inflammatory action
Applying pure coconut oil to the scalp helps lessen the severity of scalp problems and improves the skin barrier capacity.
Moreover, coconut oil has an anti-inflammatory effect on the skin, which is a boon to those with scalp-related disorders such as dandruff. (6)
How to Use Coconut Oil on the Hair
Coconut oil can be used as a hair mask, overnight treatment, or styling agent.
To use coconut oil on your hair, follow these steps:
- Wash your hair with a good-quality shampoo.
- Apply good-quality coconut oil to your hair, and leave it on for 15–30 minutes. You may also leave it on overnight for best results.
- Wash your hair with shampoo and apply a good conditioner for best results.
General Queries Related to Onion Juice and Coconut Oil for Hair
Where should onion juice be applied on the head?
Onion juice should be applied to the scalp and not to the hair length.
When using onion juice on the scalp, how do I prevent excessive sulfur application?
Apply onion juice to your scalp for only 30–45 minutes to prevent any side effects from excessive sulfur.
What ingredients can be mixed with onion juice for scalp treatment?
Onion juice can be used in combination with castor oil, coconut oil, olive oil, ginger juice, honey, or curd to support scalp health and manage scalp problems.
Is coconut oil effective for hair loss and dandruff problems?
Coconut oil not only promotes hair growth but is also used as a medical treatment for problems such as dandruff, hair loss, and scalp irritation.
What type of coconut oil is best for hair?
It is recommended to use organic extra virgin coconut oil only for great results.
Can I apply onion juice daily to my hair?
Yes, you can apply onion juice to your hair regularly to get hair growth results.
In one study where 23 participants used onion juice on their hair twice a day, 20 of them saw hair regrowth after using onion juice for 2 months and 10 had complete regrowth of hair after using it for 6 months.
Onion juice and coconut oil are two magical ingredients for hair growth. These natural remedies can be a blessing for a person suffering from extreme hair loss or poor hair quality.
When onion juice and/or coconut oil are used regularly, great results can be achieved in as early as 2 months!
- Peedikayil FC, Remy V, John S, Chandru TP, Sreenivasan P, Bijapur GA. Comparison of antibacterial efficacy of coconut oil and chlorhexidine on streptococcus mutans: An in vivo study. Journal of International Society of Preventive & Community Dentistry. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5109859/. Published 2016.
- Marrelli M, Amodeo V, Statti G, Conforti F. Biological properties and bioactive components of allium cepa L.: Focus on potential benefits in the treatment of obesity and related comorbidities. Molecules (Basel, Switzerland). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6337254/. Published December 30, 2018.
- Adav SS, Subbaiaih RS, Kerk SK, et al. Studies on the proteome of human hair – identification of histones and deamidated keratins. Scientific reports. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5785504/. Published January 25, 2018.
- JH; K. Anti-bacterial action of onion (allium cepa L.) extracts against oral pathogenic bacteria. The Journal of Nihon University School of Dentistry. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9354029/.
- Hosking A-M, Juhasz M, Atanaskova Mesinkovska N. Complementary and alternative treatments for alopecia: A comprehensive review. Skin appendage disorders. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6388561/. Published February 2019.
- Lin T-K, Zhong L, Santiago JL. Anti-inflammatory and skin barrier repair effects of topical application of some plant oils. International journal of molecular sciences. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5796020/. Published December 27, 2017.
- Shilling M; Matt L; Rubin E; Visitacion MP; Haller NA; Grey SF; Woolverton CJ; Antimicrobial effects of virgin coconut oil and its medium-chain fatty acids on clostridium difficile. Journal of medicinal food. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24328700/.
- RB; RASM. Effect of mineral oil, sunflower oil, and coconut oil on prevention of hair damage. Journal of cosmetic science. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12715094/.