Good hair plays a crucial role in defining your personality; it gives you confidence and appeal.
Every woman wants dense and thick hair, but the quest for the perfect hair growth remedy is still on.
You are not alone if you’re experiencing hair loss because, according to science, each strand on your head goes through a cycle that comprises growth, shedding, and stabilization. (1)
Some causes of hair loss are androgenetic alopecia, improper diet, imbalance of hormones, genes, and environmental factors. (2)
Hair loss can be tackled using natural ingredients such as coconut oil, onion juice, fenugreek powder, curry leaves, and more. These natural hair care ingredients come in the form of hair tonics, hair-promoting pills, oils, and lotions that need to be applied to the scalp and hair to stop hair fall and promote new hair growth.
Natural ingredients are popular nowadays because they are herbal and plant based. (3)
Remedies for Thick and Dense Hair
Here are some natural ingredients that play essential roles in making the hair dense and thick.
1. Castor oil + coconut oil
Using a combination of castor oil and coconut oil can offer the following benefits for your hair.
Castor oil has been used since ancient times to get thick and dense hair. It is abundant in ricinoleic acid, which acts as a humectant and moisturizer. It is volatile and very thick and sticky in consistency. (4)
A study conducted in 2022 revealed that castor oil hydrates the scalp, eases dandruff, complements the fitness of hair follicles, reduces dandruff, and promotes hair growth. (5)
Coconut oil contains a high amount of saturated fatty acids. It has one of the highest amounts of medium-chain fatty acids and also contains phenolic acids and antioxidants such as tocopherol. (4)
This wonder oil is known to help reduce hair breakage and provide nourishment to the hair, making it strong and thick. (6)
Note: Since castor oil has a thick consistency, it should be washed off with lukewarm water.
How to use:
- Mix 1 tablespoon castor oil and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. As castor oil has a thick density and can’t be washed off easily, make sure you do not use too much of it. (7)
- Apply the mixture to your scalp and hair.
- Comb the hair well.
- Wet a towel in warm water and wrap it around your head. Leave it on for at least 1 hour.
- Wash your hair with a natural shampoo and conditioner and rinse it with lukewarm water.
- Do this once a week to get good results.
2. Green tea
Green tea is readily available in local stores and is so popular because it is full of antioxidants that are good for the body such as polyphenols and flavonoids.
Green tea has anti-inflammatory effects and reduces stress in the body and scalp, thus improving hair growth. (2)
One study conducted in 2016 found that the flavonoids in green tea stimulated hair follicles and lengthened the growth or anagen phase of the hair. It also concluded that the flavonoids in herbs inhibiting 5α-reductase contributed to faster hair regrowth. (8)
How to use:
- Freshly brew green tea and cool it down.
- Use this as a rinse.
- Leave it for 10 minutes and wash it off with water.
- Repeat the process 2–3 times a week for at least 3–4 months to get good results.
A humble kitchen ingredient, onions are now gaining recognition as an agent for hair growth. It has a multitude of beneficial qualities such as antibacterial, nourishing, and more.
Onions are rich in sulfur, a mineral important to the body and abundant in hair, skin, and nails. Naturally concentrated sulfur compounds have hair-restoring properties. (9) This is why onions can help in hair growth and control hair loss.
Moreover, onions help to regenerate hair follicles and encourage hair growth.
How to use:
- Extract the juice of 1 onion and keep it in a bowl.
- Add in 1 teaspoon of honey and 2 drops of lavender oil and mix them well.
- Massage this mixture into your scalp and leave it on for 40 minutes.
- Rinse your hair with water, and then use a natural shampoo and conditioner to wash it off.
- Repeat this process 2–3 times a week for good results.
4. Rosemary oil
Research has revealed that rosemary essential oil helps in hair growth, but it may take time to show good results.
Rosemary oil has many properties that are good for the body and hair. It provides anti-inflammatory effects, promotes nerve growth, improves blood circulation, and strengthens the hair follicles. (10)(11)
How to use:
- Add 5 drops of rosemary oil to 1 teaspoon of carrier oil, such as jojoba oil or coconut oil.
- Apply this mixture directly to your scalp and massage it in.
- Leave it on the scalp for 10–15 minutes.
- Wash it off with water and a natural shampoo and conditioner.
5. Fenugreek seeds
Fenugreek seeds are rich in saponins (diosgenin), alkaloids (trigonelline), flavonoids, vitamins, and galactomannan. These seeds are known to stimulate blood circulation to the hair follicles, and steroid saponins interact with DHT (dihydrotestosterone) metabolism. (12)
It has been found that oral consumption of 6 g/day and 50 g of fenugreek seed powder dissolved in ¼ L of water is ideal for external use.
How to use:
- Add 2–3 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds to a cup of water and leave them overnight.
- Make a fine paste of the soaked seeds.
- Add 2 teaspoons of coconut milk to it.
- Apply the mixture to your hair and leave it on for 30 minutes.
- Rinse it off with warm water, and then use a natural shampoo and conditioner to wash your hair.
- Do this once a week to prevent dry scalp and to get healthy and thick hair.
General Queries Related to Dense and Thick Hair
Do nutritional deficiencies affect hair thickness?
Hair loss may happen due to a nutritional deficiency, and following an adequate diet can play a part in hair growth and density.
According to research, consuming food rich in amino acids and vitamins can lead to better growth of hair. (13)
What foods make hair thicker?
According to experts, nuts, fish, spinach, eggs, beans, sweet potatoes, bell pepper, and yogurt are the few foods that are important for the thickness of the hair. (14)
Are there effective natural supplements for hair regrowth?
Saw palmetto is a plant extract that is believed to have benefits for hair regrowth. It is available as over-the-counter supplements, (15) in the form of capsules, liquid, or tea, and is usually combined with other supplements for hair growth.
Saw palmetto powder is also available and needs to be applied to the scalp and hair.
Does peppermint oil help in hair growth without toxic effects?
Yes, according to a 2014 research, topical application of peppermint essential oil stimulated hair growth. (16)
There are many bioactive materials from the world of natural ingredients that can be used to stimulate hair growth. Natural ingredients are abundant in antioxidants, oils, proteins, terpenoids, and many essential agents. (3)
The remedies given above may help in making hair dense and thick due to their properties.
- (PDF) hair growth and rejuvenation: An overview – researchgate. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/44661841/.
- Indexing partners. Journal of Dermatology Research and Therapy | Clinmed International Library. https://www.clinmedjournals.org/International-Journal-of-Dermatology-Research-and-Therapy.php?jid=ijdrt.
- (PDF) the wonder of herbs to treat-alopecia – researchgate. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/308780570/.
- Mysore V, Arghya A. Hair oils: Indigenous knowledge revisited. International journal of trichology. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9231528/. Published 2022.
- Goyal A, Sharma A, Kaur J, et al. Bioactive-based cosmeceuticals: An update on emerging trends. Molecules (Basel, Switzerland). https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8837976/. Published January 27, 2022.
- Kaushik V, Chogale R, Mhaskar S. Alternative protocol for hair damage assessment and comparison of hair care treatments. International journal of trichology. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7276157/. Published 2020.
- Maduri VR, Vedachalam A, Kiruthika S. “Castor oil” – the culprit of acute hair felting. International journal of trichology. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5596646/. Published 2017.
- Goluch-Koniuszy ZS. Nutrition of women with hair loss problem during the period of Menopause. Przeglad menopauzalny = Menopause review. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4828511/. Published March 2016.
- Onion juice: An effective home remedy for combating alopecia. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/273758703/.
- Murata K; Noguchi K; Kondo M; Onishi M; Watanabe N; Okamura K; Matsuda H; Promotion of hair growth by rosmarinus officinalis leaf extract. Phytotherapy research : PTR. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22517595/.
- A; PYTMMETS. Rosemary oil vs minoxidil 2% for the treatment of androgenetic alopecia: A randomized comparative trial. Skinmed. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25842469/.
- Fenugreek+micronutrients: Efficacy of a food supplement against hair loss. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/251923543/.
- Trüeb RM. “Let food be thy medicine”: Value of nutritional treatment for hair loss. International journal of trichology. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8647708/. Published 2021.
- Guo EL, Katta R. Diet and hair loss: Effects of nutrient deficiency and supplement use. Dermatology practical & conceptual. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5315033/. Published January 31, 2017.
- Evron E, Juhasz M, Babadjouni A, Mesinkovska NA. Natural hair supplement: Friend or foe? saw palmetto, a systematic review in Alopecia. Skin appendage disorders. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7706486/. Published November 2020.
- Oh JY, Park MA, Kim YC. Peppermint oil promotes hair growth without toxic signs. Toxicological research. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4289931/. Published December 2014.